Wednesday, 6 May 2015

Re-creating retro Sindy, Barbie and Tressy Doll Clothes

I've just found this post in my drafts that I started over a year ago... It just needed a photo of the jacket but I forgot to take one and then publish this post! I had my photo taken today for today's Me Made May 2015 outfit so here it is!

The original first post - 30 Jan 2014

Sindy (on the left) is mine from the early 1980's and Barbie (on the right) is from Toy Story 3 and belongs to Ruby. We have a difference in opinion over who is prettier, Ruby thinks Barbie and I think Sindy. We do agree on how lovely their new clothes are that came from Emmaus a couple of weeks ago. 


My friend and I sat on the floor and searched through a box of clothes selecting the ones I liked the best. In the end I cam home with some lovely retro Sindy and Barbie Outfits. Also in the box were some Tressy Doll Clothes. Tressy Dolls were made in the UK in the early 1960's and my Mum used to have one. 

When Ruby got home from school we tried all of the outfits on her dolls and they did a fashion show :) I felt rather envious of Sindy's shift dress and the grey Tressy dress. So armed with my new skills from my City and Guild's course at MIY Workshop and my Winifred Aldrich Pattern Cutting book I am going to re-create some of the outfits in my size. 

Now which one first?


The New Post - 6 May 2015

I decided to start with the Tressy Doll Suit. I don't have much need for a suit so I decided to use the suit as inspiration and make a spring jacket.


I started by drafting the basic 'flat' overgarment and 'flat' kimono blocks from Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear by Winifred Aldrich and adjusted block at the neckline and side seam.

I made a toile in some lovely! fabric remnants I had in the fabric stash and made some amendments to the neckline on the pattern. 

Then I went fabric shopping at Ditto Fabrics :) 
I don't think I could wear that much tartan so I chose a black and taupe speckled heavy cotton for the main coat. A cotton zebra print for the collar (that I will be able to remove and change if I don't like it) and a pale green lining.


And here it is, my finished jacket! 


Well worn and loved. I definitely need to make another one in a different colour.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...